Each summer (well, weekend, anytime really lol) brings an opportunity to Explore Alberta!
Visit a place brand new to you or return to an old favourite, especially if you want to explore it through changing seasons. I honestly think it’ll take me my entire life to work my way through every nook and cranny of the province—an exciting challenge!
I also think it says a lot when you can visit the same place multiple times but still find new things to do each time, which is how I’m segueing into this focus of this blog post.
I partnered with Tourism Medicine Hat to return to one of Canada’s sunniest cities and share my itinerary with you so you can enjoy a visit down to the southern Alberta city of Medicine Hat too!
Medicine Hat is not only teeming with great things to do, but is also a great base for exploration around Southern Alberta including the stunning Cypress Hills, which I got just a taste of experiencing during this visit.
Why do I visit Medicine Hat so much? Well not only is there SO MUCH TO DO (and it’s arguably the coolest city in southern Alberta), but my dear friends Jack and Nicole also live there, so it’s awesome being a tourist in their town (many of our experiences we do together are new to them too—despite being locals!)
Copy my Itinerary: A Weekend of Fun in Medicine Hat (Southern Alberta)
Friday in Medicine Hat, Alberta
- Downtown Stories – self-guided Medicine Hat history tour
- A new experience to Medicine Hat that just launched Summer 2021 is the Esplanade’s Downtown Stories project. This is a self-guided community tour that takes you to 17 different locations around Downtown Medicine Hat, telling you the history of the building, and stories of the businesses and people of The Hat.
- Use your smartphone to scan the QR code starting at the historic Ewart-Duggan House (first built in 1883!) located at the Esplanade Arts and Heritage Centre downtown, and start your self-guided walking / history tour!
- You don’t have to go in order though, depending on where you’re at downtown, keep an eye out for a Downtown Stories sign and QR code and scan to learn more about that space. There are amazing illustrations and fun sounds clips from residents sharing their experiences.
- You can also take quizzes to see how much Medicine Hat information you’ve retained, ha!
- Axe Throwing or Go-Karting at the Medicine Hat Lodge
- In the parking lot of the Medicine Hat Lodge where I stayed on this trip (more on that below), you can find pop-up axe throwing by SixOneSix Entertainment!
- SixOneSix Entertainment is a locally owned entertainment company offering virtual reality, axe throwing, and simulated golf. They have a 12,000 square foot facility in The Hat but also have a pop-up axe throwing space at the Medicine Hat Lodge parking lot!
- If you’ve never tried axe throwing, it’s a really fun activity—definitely a thrill. When and where else are you allowed to throw sharp objects safely? lol. In The Hat you can also join axe throwing leagues and competitions!
- Your axe throwing session includes a host who will explain the ins and outs, tips, best practices, and safety reminders that’ll get you nailing bullseyes in no time.
- And although we didn’t try it during this visit, the Medicine Hat Lodge parking lot is also home to Go-Karting in the summer! This is put on by the Medicine Hat Lodge, and definitely something fun to try too. I am loving the different uses of space here! (it’s a big parking lot lol).
Read the rest of Linda's Medicine Hat itinerary here!